[thelist] CF: Request for Opinion

Aaron Johnson ajlist at mindseye.com
Fri Sep 6 13:25:01 CDT 2002

Hi Frank,

> I write my apps to be very modular and portable. Frequently,
> there are bits of common information to be shared among the
> apps, such as company info, addresses, contact information,
> etc., or perhaps some small bits of configuration
> information.
>
> Which in your opinion is the better choice:
>
> 1) A cached query
>
> 2) Setting the query to a struct in the application scope
>
> 3) Neither one has a significant overall advantage
> (performance/memory/elegance) over the other
>
> 4) An alternate choice
 -- personally, I use a struct in request scope.  My configuration
information is hierarchical, which makes it hard to store the
information in a database (databases being inherently better at storing
relational information)

If/when you move to CFMX, IMHO you *could* use web.xml to store your
configuration information, details here:

http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?id=19399

Advantage:
 a) web.xml, which lives in /WEB-INF/, is similiar to global.asa in ASP
in that it is parsed on the first hit to the web app, which means that
you're web app doesn't have to parse through a properties.cfm file
everytime.
 b) it's XML!

HTH

AJ