[thelist] Problems with mail program hacking

Olena Sullivan olena at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 8 20:04:03 CDT 2002

Hi All,

I have a friend who is starting up a hosting venture and is having a
problem with setting up web-based email. As I am a web designer who
knows not of these things, I thought I'd shoot out the question to the
list, knowing that there is someone who can solve the problem at hand:

He purchased World Wide Messenger V4.0 and had a previous programmer
install/code it into the system so that his clients could send/receive
email with their own personal email addresses. Problem is, someone
hacked in and started sending porn spam using his mail system. (Don't
you hate that??)

All he could do was take out the system and now noone has email through
their domain addresses which sucks. He really wants to get the email
going again but does not know if it is the program that is the problem
or what? Does he need another programmer to install/code and make it
more secure or is it a server issue and the program is fine? Have any of
you had any experience with this mail program?

Any  opinions appreciated and I'll learn something in the process.

Thanks in advance,

:) Olena Sullivan
New Mediatrix
www.olena.ca <http://www.olena.ca>