[thelist] Re: [thelist] © of JavaScript code

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Mon Sep 9 02:25:01 CDT 2002

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> What is the importance of such copyright notice in  JS code when it
> is easily readable for anybody with the knowledge of JS?

Those two ideas are not related.

Copyright is automatic, meaning, it is inherent with the creation of
original work.  You are not required to even put a copyright notice on your
work any longer. (since 1989)

> Are there any laws to protect the rights of JS code?

The Copyright itself is your protection.  If you find someone has violated
your copyright by using your code without explicit permission, you have some
grounds to file claim against them.

> I have put a downloadable game on my site. It uses lots of (a bit)
> complex JS. How can I protect the rights of that JS code which I
> developed with painstaking hardworking?

Toss on the copyright, put a note about specifically NOT using it and then
when you find someone who does, go after them.

Technical measures like obfuscation are possible, but are unrelated to
preventing copyright theft.

This site has good info:
http://www.laderapress.com/laderapress/myths.html

-davidu