[thelist] Databases

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Mon Sep 9 02:26:01 CDT 2002

Hi Kev,

transferring from Access to SQL server is not especially difficult once you
have the server up and running. It's not clear from your question though
whether you are talking about coding web-based database applications or
"pure" database applications. In Access it's moderately easy to pop a simple
forms based interface on a database to make it useable on the desktop. SQL
Server doesn't have a simple method for doing that - instead one needs to
create an interface using ASP, or programming a standard Windows app.

If you are keeping to jobs that are ASP based, then I think that you will
find SQLServer quite nice to work with. It takes a little while to get used
to the interface of the SQL Server Enterprise Manager (which is the main
tool one uses for administrating both local and remote databases), but once
you've found your way around the basics you'll be up and running in no time.

It's difficult to suggest a good starting reference. I would personally be
inclined to splash out and go for a book on the subject if possible,
something that explains from first concepts (insallation, navigating the
admin programs, setting up databases etc) to integrating with ASP (and then
possibly including more advanced concepts such as replication) would be your
best bet.

Alternatively the documentation (Books Online, or BOL as it is often
referred to) for SQL Server 2000 is archived here:
http://www.ddart.net/mssql/sql2000/html/

Here's an article about using Enterprise Manager (and at the bottom of the
page are some more very useful SQL Server tutorials)
http://www.swynk.com/friends/maubert/70-228-4-1.asp

Good luck!

.steve

 Cookstour - http://www.cookstour.org