[thelist] Dreamweaver MX, .csv files, databases et errata

unruly mongrel unrulymongrel at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 18:19:01 CDT 2002

Greetings, evolters.  I have a non-profit web client. A year ago, the former
webmaster, who used Frontpage, got them to try out doing a few of their
registration forms online, the data from those reg. forms going, via
Frontpage server extensions, into .csv files, which admin people at this
non-profit then open and manipulate via Excel.  I am the new webmaster.  I
am right now in the process of switching the website from Frontpage to
Dreamweaver, but I haven't yet figured out how to get Dreamweaver MX to
handle the form-to-database connections as easily as Frontpage did.  The
Dreamweaver documentation is telling me I need to learn Unix, and PHP, and
MySQL, or ColdFusion, which, though I know I CAN learn these things, it's a
matter of time and timing...

1.  Do I really have to learn all those new languages & programs? (I want
to, but again, this is a "right now" job)
2.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on HOW to get form data to
convert into .csv files (i've been searching and can't find documentation
anywhere online)?
3.  At what point does having a SQL-type database, intranet system become
worthwhile, instead of handling everything via paper trail, cgi/Perl and
Excel, and dichotomous, conflicting records?  I don't want to push these
people into advanced training and technology if they don't need it.

Forgive my ignorance, for those more knowledgeable.  I bow in humble
awestruckness before your hardcore coding abilities.  =)

-d
www.unrulybeast.com