[thelist] html in emails/newsletters

colin bocmaxima at wtez.net
Wed Sep 11 11:50:17 CDT 2002

Hello list,

I've been commissioned to come up with a way/template for a newsletter that my organization wishes to send out. The person sending it out would like html in it, but since we don't know how the user will be reading this email (the email is sent to an alias which can be pointed at anything), we need to include a non-html text version as well. However, I want the text to appear for those not seeing the html, and the html to appear for those not seeing the text.
I haven't found a way to do this yet, and the only reasonable solution I've seen is to put a comment line at the very top (before any code) saying something like "Go to this web site to read this email", but this seems lame since the code still appears below it.
Any alternatives/ideas on this?

ALSO, how comprehensive of code can most programs handle? I'd like to put css (inline) in for formatting, or am I going to have to use font tags?

Thanks for any help,
colin
bocmaxima at wtez.net