[thelist] ASP & SQL

Erik Bennett ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us
Thu Sep 12 13:07:01 CDT 2002

--
Pertinent info- Windows NT 4, using ASP and SQL, and an Access DB with a
System DSN

What I'm trying to do is pretty straight forward, (I think) and I'm coming
up short. I have a list of employees that work here, and we have a form to
search for specific employees by Last Name, First Name, User Name or
Location. The problem is is that I'm using an OR search. So if someone
enters John Doe at location X, they get all Johns, all Does, and all
location X's. Is it possible to get all of the records that match just John
Doe at Location X?

Wait, I know what you're going to say. Use AND. But what happens if someone
doesn't fill out all of the fields? In my past experience trying to get this
to work, someone had to fill out every field to get the info. Not very user
friendly. Is there a way to structure the query so that it searches on just
the fields that have something in them? Or does this work automatically? I
hope this all makes sense, since I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to ASP
and SQL.

Thanks in advance! (and yes, I've already googled looking for the answer...
:-) )

Erik

Erik Bennett
ECASD Webmaster 	Network Accounts
ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us <mailto:ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us>
accounts at ecasd.k12.wi.us <mailto:accounts at ecasd.k12.wi.us>
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us <http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/>
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/accounts
<http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/accounts>

500 Main Street
Eau Claire, WI 54701

Phone:  715-839-6290 x551
Fax:    715-833-3481

--
[ winmail.dat was deleted, please don't send attachments with your message. ]