[thelist] Re: iframes & javascript errors

Fernando Gómez fgomez at criba.edu.ar
Fri Sep 13 09:02:01 CDT 2002

From: "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 5:06 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Re: iframes & javascript errors

> Oops, I missed this. But it's still strange. *Why* would this line not
work?
> It only does something inside the loc.gov page, and what does it matter
> whether it's in an iframe.
>
> I don't understand.

The error is caused by the iframe not being visible (display: none) at the
time the script is executed. It does not surprise me, because I've seen that
behavior even on forms living in a DIV that is hidden. But it would be nice
if that kind of error messsages could be avoided, without completely
disabling the display of errors in the browser.

I guess that the most acceptable solution will be not to load a page until
it is requested by the user. In that moment, the corresponding iframe would
become visible, and there would be no error.

Thanks for your help!

Fernando Gomez