[thelist] Using Apache as intranet and development server on broadband

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Sep 14 08:51:01 CDT 2002

Keith Underdown wrote:

> I have Apache running on my W2000 machine so that I can develop PHP
> applications and get them served to my triumvirate of browsers to test them.
> I also have my wife's machine connected via a LAN based on one network card
> and my cable "modem" connected to my machine by a second card. Using
> Internet Sharing we can both use the broadband connection and using standard
> W2000 file system operations we successfully share files.

Not to ignore your individual questions, but I would *strongly*
recommend that you get a firewall/router and set up a proper LAN
(drop the "Internet Sharing"). I use a LinkSys Etherfast Cable/DSL
router which provides a firewall configurable by internal IP and
port #, NAT, and DHCP; other vendors make similar boxes.

Once set up, you'll have fewer security concerns and can set up
your internal portal easily. And you can pass HTTP requests to
your external IP address to your system for validation, though
Apache should be configured with access restrictions  :-)

HTH, feel free to contact me off-list for more details on my own
setup if it'll help.
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

     -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --