[thelist] billing clients

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sat Sep 14 18:08:01 CDT 2002

> I usually bid by the project, and I sure do include stuff
> like phone conversations and stuff like that in my estimates.
[ . . . ]
> > For those of you freelancers out there, got a question. Do you bill
> > for liaison time? That is, phone conversations, slogging through
> > email. If you do, do you charge the same rate or different? DO you
> > line item it on your invoice?

Me too; I prefer to bill the project as a whole. However, my maintenance
clients know that any time I spend working on their account is billable. So,
liaison time gets listed like any other task on their behalf. I bill my
phone time and remote support by 1/4 hour increments, though, with no
minimum, so that's better than the one hour minimum I charge for web work,
or the two hour minimum I charge for onsite networking stuff. I've never
once had anyone question it or complain, but I explain up front what's what.

joel

--
Joel D Canfield
Know Your Music    http://EGBDF.info