[thelist] OT: wireless web access (urgent help needed)

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Sep 18 00:02:08 CDT 2002

> 1. what hardware is needed?

Well, you can get access via a internet ready mobile phone.  Alternatively,
you could get access via a PDA (e.g. Palm.net).  Finally, many mobile
providers offer a PCMCIA card that connects via their towers (e.g.
Cingular).  There are a bunch of ways to mix and match this.

> 2. is this what 802.11 is?
802.11 is a wireless protocol which will allow a user with a network
interface card to access a network.  Similar to hard wired networks, if the
network has internet access available to the user than they should be good
to go.

> 3. what service providers are there? how does accessing the internet
> work?
Unless the worker is posted near a Starbucks, chances are that you will want
to work out a solution with one of the existing cellular companies.

> alternatively, if you know of a good way for an employee to remotely get
> email anytime they need it, wherever they are, please let me know.

Many cellular phones and beepers (e.g. blackberry) allow for exchanges of
email.  If this is all you are looking for this might be an easy way to do
things.  I don't know if you can send attachments, though.

Josh