[thelist] ASP cookies

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Sep 19 13:49:02 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Robertson" <mike at mikeemedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 2:37 PM

> Then I want to take the cookie and make a list of addresses so the user
can select one to populate the form rather than typing it out.

> I'm familiar with cookies, but I'm a little stuck on this one. Any
suggestions? I can create a cookie but I'm not sure how to add to it without
deleting the old. I can add keys but how would I name an unknown key? Is
there a way to check the length when retrieving the cookie? Thanks

Here's a quick thought:

Use only one cookie.  Append the newly entered email address to the end of
the existing cookie value using a know character as a delimiter, such as a
|.  Use ASP's "split" function to translate the cookie back into an array
when you need to use it for generating the dropdown.

That is a high level explanation, but it should work.  Please give a hollar
if you need more information.

-joshua