[thelist] developing a system for keywording images in an imagebank?

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Fri Sep 20 07:48:00 CDT 2002

Hey there,

In this photo site I'm building
(http://www.1976design.com/testarea/photo/thumbnails.php?) I have input a
bunch of keywords for each photograph (by which people can search for images
and then similar images).

I'm wondering if anyone's ever developed a set of keywords for a similar
project?

HOW MY SYSTEM WORKS

Someone finds an image they like, they click on it to get a larger image with
info about that photo. They are presented with a bunch of keywords that relate
to that image and which can be individually clicked on to search again using
that word - this should help people find images with similar elements in.

MY PROBLEM

Say I have two photos of chickens, the first one I take and catalog in
January, the second I take and catalog in August.

Do I just look at each image and write down every word that comes to mind and
hope that I put in some similar words each time, or do I have a large set of
keywords which I pick from to ensure some kind of consitancy?

Just wondered, I don't want to fill in details for 100 images and then find I
should have done it another way if only I'd asked :o)

Thanks - dunstan

p.s. I know the site doen't work in Opera at the moment, I'm working on it :o)