[thelist] The Web's future: XHTML 2.0

David Bindel dbindel at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 21 14:32:01 CDT 2002

W3C, of course.  My previous email was simply my realization of the
similarities between the W3C's shrinking vocabulary known as HTML and
Ingsoc's shrinking vocabulary known as Newspeak.  And really, after
reading that dialogue between Winston and his friend (from 1984), it
begins to sound exactly like what some of the pro-standards gurus are
saying today.

**** 1 ****

"You think, I dare say, that our chief job is inventing new words.
But not a bit of it! We're destroying words..."

Have you noticed how since HTML 4.01, we haven't seen ANY new tags
introduced at all?  The only thing that's happening is the language
is becoming more formal (XML compliant) and synonymous and irrelevant
elements are being removed.

**** 2 ****

"Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but
there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well."

The W3C is doing this exactly... they are removing (deprecating) the
verbs and adjectives and unnecessary nouns from HTML(Separation of
Content from Presentation).

"Has it ever occurred to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the
very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could
understand such a conversation as we are having now?"

<sarcasm>And we've never heard this before...</sarcasm>

> For me I am all for the W3C they do not have any hidden motives and
> they are not trying to sell you an OS and Browser combo.

LOL, I know this.  I support the W3C as well.

Sincerely,
David Bindel