[thelist] question abt apache web server log

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sun Sep 22 23:00:07 CDT 2002

At 01:20 AM 9/21/2002, Erick Papadakis wrote:
>saw my apache server log for the first time because it was a huge file,
>which i cheerily imagined was due to the raging popularity of my website,
>but turns out that it is so huge because it logs every little crap like
>access of *.gif, *.css etc! what have i configured wrong? how can i turn
>on logging only for the main web pages like *.cgi and *.html files?

First off the whole point of having logs is to record the access to your
web site. That includes your images, CSS and other schtuff that make up
your pages. If you want to know your hit counts for specific pages then you
need a log analysis tool.

Read up here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/logs.html
---