[thelist] Advice about screen readers - web, email

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Sep 23 16:52:00 CDT 2002

At 3:11 PM 9/23/2, Chris Johnston wrote:
> I am doing some research for a relative regarding programs that
> will read webpages - screen readers.

The two biggies are GW Micro's Window-Eyes and JAWS from Freedom Scientific:
http://www.gwmicro.com/
http://www.freedomscientific.com/

Note that both now support Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA), and so
plugins and controls can tailor their content for screen readers.

(For more info on plugins and screen readers, see:
<http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/accessibility/features/flash/overview/
player/>... if you jump up a few levels you can find general design advice
for accessibility.)

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/