[thelist] css "transparency"

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Wed Sep 25 18:52:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

Passing through and this topic caught my eye. I've fiddled with this
effect, too, and have had many people ask me about this effect at my weblog
at <http://www.brainstormsandraves.com/>. The background leaves are
no-repeat, and the checkerboard .gif image is the background image for the
content table, which gives the effect of movement over the leaves background.

You can do a lot with this concept varying the checkerboard pattern and the
colors of that checkerboard image and the background image, but as Paul
mentions, you must be careful about how fonts read over the top of them,
too. The letters can get really jagged to the point of being unreadable or
just not looking very good. In addition to what Paul already stated, I've
also found the more contrast between the background colors and the font
color the better.

I prefer the term "translucency" for this. Either way, though, it can be a
fun adventure of exploring.

Paul, yours is nice. I like it. :-)

Warmly,
Shirley