[thelist] Does anyone have any experience of .NET ?

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 06:19:01 CDT 2002

On Friday, September 27, 2002 at 11:44, seb johnson wrote:

sj> Does anyone have any experience of .NET ?

i've been working with it for the past 18 months or so...

sj> I have an ASP development background and am now looking into
sj> certification of some sort.

you might also want to try this on the .net certification list at
aspfriends:
   http://www.aspfriends.com/aspfriends/aspngexamscertify.asp

the last time i checked (which was a few months ago), i don't think all the
.net exams had been finalized...but that could well have changed by now.

sj> The IDE looks much better than VS6

visual studio.net is so much better than vs6 it's almost unbelievable!
still does the occasional nasty thing to your code, but it's being worked
on!

there's also the free web matrix tool (www.asp.net/matrix) that has the ide
and a web server so you can happily do .net development on windows
platforms that don't support iis.

sj> and from what I've read about C# as a language its more powerful than
sj> VB6 and VB.NET and pretty easy to pick up as well.

there are only a few differences in what one language can do over another,
be it vb, c#, j# or any other language being added.  the framework is huge
with classes for just about everything and it's all accessible from your
language of choice.

sj> As a development framework and environment I think .NET actually looks
sj> really good.

personally i like it.  a lot.  you have a full programming language to use
and abuse as you like.  the code is compiled and runs much faster than
asp.classic.

there's also a good chance that the framework will end up on different
platforms.  iirc the core of the framework is already available for
freebsd, but i haven't really looked into it.

hth,

darren.