[thelist] Mails bouncing - security issue?

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Sep 27 11:45:01 CDT 2002

At 02:59 AM 9/27/2002, Mark Howells wrote:
>Hi all
>
>We're getting an odd problem at work, where we'll get an email bounced
>back to us occasionally with the following message.
>
>>The following message could not be delivered because the address
>>[RECIPIENT EMAIL ADDRESS] was rejected by host [RECIPIENT EMAIL HOST]
>>([RECIPIENT HOST I.P.]).
>>550 This entry was last confirmed open on 3/25/2002
>>Reporting-MTA: dns; mountain.ch
>>Arrival-Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:12:31 +0200

Whoever is receiving the email is using a Blackhole server to check the
SMTP Headers for blocked servers. One of the SMTP Servers in the header is
kicking off the rejection. The key line is htis:

>>550 This entry was last confirmed open on 3/25/2002

If it's your server that's being blocked, you'll need to contact the
Blackhole Service and have them verify that your server is now "closed" and
they will take you off the list.

---
Anthony Baratta
President