[thelist] Font Size

Bertilo Wennergren bertilow at gmx.net
Fri Sep 27 16:28:03 CDT 2002

Timothy J. Luoma:

> Bertilo Wennergren wrote:

>> If some readers like to read pages with extremely small size text (maybe
>> they have excellent vision), they will already have set the basic size
>> to something really tiny. Using "font-size: 75%" would mean that those
>> readers get even smaller text, that they might not be able to read at all.

> which is another argument in favor of using relative font keywords
> instead of EM or % because the keywords do not compound

Relative font keywords are OK too. Basic text size should then always be
"medium", of course, which (in principle) should be synonymous with
"100%" or "1em".

> ref:
> http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_26_using_relative_font_sizes.html

Most of the practical problems you see with % and em are in Netscape 4,
right?

Well, my advice is to never, ever, ever, ever give any kind of CSS to
Netscape 4 (hide it with @import or one of the other CSS hiding tricks).
Then % and em suddenly become unproblematic. At least I have never had
any problems with them.

--
Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow at gmx.net> <http://www.bertilow.com>