[thelist] Trying to create client/server model

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Sep 28 08:47:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bertilo Wennergren" <bertilow at gmx.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 9:10 AM

> Joshua Olson:
>
> > My idea is to
> > create a Java applet to handle all communication between the client and
> > server and use the Java Applet to perform actions on the page, such as
> > update form fields, swap graphics, and change the src location of
frames.

> > Does anybody have any good resources/starting points for doing this?  Is
> > there a better way?
>
> I would use a hidden Iframe (or several hidden Iframes) and JavaScript
> instead. Javascript has wider support in (modern) clients.

For some applications, such as submitting forms to the server and waiting
for a form, that model fits.  And, that's the way I normally perform
client->server->client actions.  But, in this case I am interested in
establishing a quasi-permanent connection between the server and the client
that allows the server to send actions to the client at times of its
choosing, rather than requiring the client to always request the
information.

For example, the store manager client has a list of products on the screen.
Another manager adds a product.  I'd like for the 1st managers list to get
updated automatically.  With an iframe, I'd have to intermittantly requery
the server for additions.  I really want to avoid that.  Does IE have some
sort of proprietary interface for doing this?

Thanks again.

-joshua