[thelist] PHP Questions

Steve Webster steve at netbreed.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 07:31:07 CDT 2002

Tony Crockford wrote:

>Hi
>
>Q1, is there a better list to ask PHP questions on?

Not really a list, but you could always try the comp.lang.php newsgroup.

>Q2,
>
>Anyone got any tips, tutorials or code snippets that would allow me to
>automatically delete *.htm files from all sub-directories off a given
>directory?

You want a recursive function to search through all directories from a
base directory and remove all files that match a cartain pattern. Kinda
like this...

function deleteFiles($filter, $sDirectory) {
    $cDirectory = includeTrailingSlash($sDirectory);

    $handle = opendir($cDirectory);

    while ($file = readdir($handle)) {
        if ($file == '.' || $file == '..') {
            continue;
        }

        if (is_dir($cDirectory . $file)) {
            deleteFiles($filter, $cDirectory . $file);
        }

        if (eregi($filter, $file)) {
            unlink($cDirectory . $file);
        }
    }

    closedir($handle);
}

function includeTrailingSlash($path) {
    if (!eregi("/$", $path)) {
        $path .= "/";
    }

    return $path;
}

You could then call that like this...

deleteFiles("\.html$", getenv('DOCUMENT_ROOT'));

... to remove all filenames ending in .html from the document root!

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Steve