[thelist] php or perl/cgi?

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Mon Sep 30 09:25:04 CDT 2002

>I'm not so sure that perl is all that much more available anymore. Having
>said that, if you've never done a lot of programming, especially on Unix
>systems, and if you're primarily going to be doing Web stuff, then PHP is
>definitely the way to go.

Also the new(er/est?) version(s) of PHP have a command-line mode as well, so
you can write shell scripts in PHP as well.

I am also starting to piddle with PHP, coming from an ASP background, so I
have no idea how it performs as a shell language. However, in my small
tinkering I've been impressed at just how *fast* the web aspect is. Maybe a
lot of that speed has to do with running Apache 2.0 on my XP Home box
though... :)

-dave