[thelist] Default font size IEWin

Rob Schumann roblgs at cscoms.com
Mon Sep 30 23:57:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

Can anyone answer this one, or suggest a solution.

I have a VERY simple page (see css and html below). Viewing on IE Mac, Mozilla is absolutely fine. However, on a completely new and default install of IE5, 5.5 or 6 for PC (Win98 SE) the text is HUGE... a blind bat could read it from 3 metres without the aid reading glasses...

I know the "font-size:  1em;" in the body rule is superfluous, but the result is the same, with/without this.

IEWin seems to be setting DEFAULT 12pt (pt, not px) fonts, which at the default "medium" text size for IE is plainly ridiculous. If I set up at font-size as 11px, all is well, but I would prefer to stick with ems or %s.

My concern is that this is DEFAULT setup for IEWin, and therefore that most likely to be encountered by the "don't fiddle with default settings" masses out there. Stepping down to "smaller" igives tollerable results, but still not as small as 11px, but "smallest" is simply too small.

Am I missing something?? Advice/comments/cures would be most welcome

TIA

Rob

:==== Code ==============================

==> The CSS...

body, div, p, td, ol, ul, li, table
    {
        font-family:        Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
        text-decoration:    none;
        color:              #333;
    }
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6
    {
        font-family:        Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
        color:              #03c;
        background-color:   #fff;
    }
/*
 *
 */
body
    {
        margin:             0;
        font-size:          1em;
        line-height:        1.4em;
        font-weight:        normal;
        background-color:   #fff;
    }

==> The HTML... (sorry, line-wrap)

    <head>
        <title>CSS Test</title>
        <link rel="STYLESHEET" href="./includes/benice.css" type="text/css" />
<!--        <style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "./includes/advanced.css";</style>-->
    </head>