[thelist] emailing a newsletter

Sharon Palmer palmer.74 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 2 08:34:01 CDT 2002

At 12:28 PM 10/2/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All
>
>I have just found out that PostCast Server limits sending emails from
>outlook to
>50 recipients!  Which is odd considering they specify that the server sends at
>speed 3,500 an hour!
>
>Can anyone recommend some free software that can send out a plain text
>email to
>around 2-4k recipients.  It is a weekly newsletter that subscription where
>made
>whilst ordering a product.  So they have chosen to receive it.  Likewise they
>can unsubscribe.
>
>I dont think the hosting company for this site allows bulk mail through their
>server so my original plan of using php with the MySQL DB has been thwarted
>   So I will need to extrat the list from MySQL and use something else??
I've been evaluating WorldCast software.  It has a free trial, is free for
non-profit use, and only $49 for a single user license.  I've been
impressed so far, but don't have any real experience with it.

You can import files quite easily.  It includes its own SMTP server, so you
dont have to go thru your ISP's. It can also monitor an email account and
subscribe and unsubscribe from
the list (I havent tested that yet).  It does mail merge replacements so
you can customize the newsletter.  And it can recover if the computer
crashes in the middle of sending.

Sharon