[thelist] Illustrator color shift

Kathy Long kathy at site-etc.com
Wed Oct 2 22:32:01 CDT 2002

I have Illustrator 9 on a Mac and am attempting to create Web images with
it. I normally work right in ImageReady and Photoshop, but this particular
client is an Adobe Illustrator illustrator, so that is how I got his files.
Problem is, every which way I try I cannot get the images out of there
without the colors shifting drastically. I tried opening in PS, copying into
PS, saving for the Web - both gif and jpg; nothing works. Interestingly when
I just open the file it evidently isn't even displaying correctly because I
see almost black when he says the color is a dark green. If I make it look
green to me, then save it as a gif, then it becomes much lighter green.

He's using Illustrator 8 on a Mac and can save in Illustrator as a jpg and
the colors will stay true. When I save as a jpg, the colors fade and get
dirty looking. He doesn't like the way it looks when we save as a gif
because he uses gradients, but saving as a gif changes the colors as well
anyway.

I know my biggest problem is he's used to dealing with print and so it wants
absolute perfection, so the best I can offer is to make it look good on his
monitor and he'll think it looks good for everyone. But I can't even get
close.

Is there a really bad color bug in Illustrator 9 that perhaps was corrected
with version 10? Or is there another workaround.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Kathy
--
SITE-etc
Instant Site Enhancements

Enabling and empowering your business. Simply. Affordably.