[thelist] testing for Mac platform - emulators on PC?

S.tygian B.lacksmith S.tudios studio at zero.zero.xs2.net
Thu Oct 3 20:58:01 CDT 2002

DB> "... but we need to test some websites under browsers running on OS
9.2 and OS X."

This is where you're going to run into problems. There are some
emulators around, but most aren't being actively developed anymore. The
only exceptions I know of are Executor and SoftMac. But the real issue
is that you need to test on 9.2 and X. Anything later than 8.1 only runs
on the PowerPC architecture, AFAIK, and there are *no* systems that
currently emulate that hardware.

The developers of SoftMac (www.emulators.com) have been promising a PPC
emulator for some time now. There's a hypothetical date of late 2003
hanging in the air, but who knows?

Assuming that you can get a legal ROM image (and a copy of the OS)
you'll be able to run MacOS up to 8.1. I'd recommend using Basilisk II
for that. It's slow compared to the commercial version of SoftMac XP,
but it's the only one I know of that supports networking. And it's
free. ;-) (The JIT version is substantially faster but
it's "experimental" on Windows.)

Here are some links to get you started:

Basilisk II overview: http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/basiliskii.html
BII official site: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/B2Main.html