[thelist] Payment gateways

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Sat Oct 5 19:08:01 CDT 2002

Pablo Oliva wrote:

>--
>I would like to accept payments (credit cards) online.  I've been
>looking at the options and it seems that I might open a merchant account with Wells Fargo, they work with Authorize.net.  My intentions is to have a seemless integration, meaning that I do not want the vistor to have to leave my site in order to complete the payment process... as it is done with paypal.  It seems that Authorize.net/Wells Fargo can provide this.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Can someone give me a clue?

The ADC Direct Link is the AuthorizeNet method you need to look at and
study for seamless, on your site, integration.  In the AuthorizeNet
developer info, you will read about the secure gateway, transact.dll and
all the variables/parameters to set up your transactions.  The code is
not too difficult, and there many carts and modules available (free and
purchased) that include AuthorizeNet gateways in them.

As has been mentioned, the difficult part is the business end of things
and all the different scenarios that can arise.  However, if you have
been in business, you are already familiar with that.

Also, as has been mentioned, security certs, while not required, will
have an impact on the trust and confidence your site visitors have in
purchasing something from you.  I do feel they are important for online
transactions and the provider of the cert should be chosen considering
not only cost, but the trust and confidence provided by their
certification.  Most of the sites I have put together chose to use
Thawte certs because of the recognition provided and the cost being
quite a bit less than Verisign.  There are other cert signers that are
less expensive than either Thawte or Verisign, just make sure they are
in the publically distributed root certs list before buying.

I have set up several sites using three different processors/gateways
and have found AuthorizeNet's Merchant interface and support to be the
best of the three I have worked with.

As for Wells Fargo, I have not worked with them as the bank providing
the merchant account (that is their role in this) but I have had
experience with two others that "provided all you need" to get the
gateway up and running.  They both charged for the software provided and
the cost was much more than was needed to be spent to get cc
transactions running smoothly.

Ron D.