[thelist] MS SQL DB hand over

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Oct 8 11:43:01 CDT 2002

At 09:27 AM 10/8/2002, Adam Slesinger wrote:

>The client seems to be as clueless as I am.  They asked for backup of the
>DB, and I did just that - backed up the DB to a file and sent them that.
>However, I'm not sure if you can restore a DB to a different Server Group
>with only that file.  Do they need the LDF and MDF files as well?

You did fine if you used the Backup options in Enterprise Manager. It
creates a file that will allow you to restore from. They should have no
problem restoring it. The only trick is if the directories and file names
are different you need to tell the restore process where the new location
and file names are, it will try and use the source location and file names.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys