[thelist] IIS custom 500.100 error script question

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Oct 8 12:10:00 CDT 2002

Has anyone else had problems with using Server.Execute inside a custom
error-handler ASP script under IIS 5.1?

I have a custom ASP script set up for 500;100 error codes, and it works
*perfectly* -- provided I call the error script directly in the browser.

Once I throw an error from an ASP script, things get nasty. The custom error
script doesn't work properly. I've got a standardized system for building
the site, and I'd like to use it in the 500-100.asp script. This system
makes use of numerous Server.Execute calls, one for each of the main page
areas, namely: global nav bar, masthead, site nav bar, and footer. The body
content is sandwiched between the site toolbar and the footer calls.

However, the output stops at the first toolbar, i.e. it only handles one
Server.Execute call.

Once I figured out it was having problems with the Server.Execute, I created
a test script like this:

        <%
        Option Explicit
        Server.Execute "test1.asp"
        response.write "<hr>"
        'Server.Execute "test2.asp"
        %>

Where each file simply says "test one" or "test two".

However, now I get this very non-informative error:

        error '8000d001'
        /ilspo/shared/custom_errors/500-100.asp, line 3

So according to this it is dying on the FIRST server.execute statement,
whereas before it always executed ONE but failed on the others. I verified
this by commenting out the first server.execute in the "standardized"
approach (the "global toolbar" one) and it would reliably execute the first
one it then encountered (the masthead), but no more (i.e. not the site
toolbar or footer scripts).

Now with the test script it doesn't do ANY of the server.executes.

Anybody have any idea why this is happening? I can't find anything on Google
or the MS Knowledge Base on this. :(

Many many many thanks in advance if you can help shed light on this...
-dave