[thelist] why is my valid site crashing NN4.6?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 10 03:59:01 CDT 2002

> > It's not finished yet but if you go to
> > http://www.hollandsentinel.com/stage/classifieds/ you can get the
> > basic idea
> > of what's going on.
> >
> > Every time I open Netscape 4.6 and go to the page it clamps up and
> > closes  Netscape.
> >
> > Why would this happen? All my HTML and CSS is 100% validated.
> >
> > So you know - I'm on a Mac.

1) Validated code does not mean that the code will work in all browsers. It
just means that it validates.

2) The 4.5 and 4.6 series of Netscape are horribly buggy. I advise you to
test sites in 4.71 or higher to avoid going completely mad.

3) That said, the page also crashes my NN4.75 Win98.

4) Possibility 1: border: #999 1px solid;
NN4 doesn't like the shorthand syntax much and can crash terribly if you
apply too many borders. Move all borders to an @import style sheet and see
if that helps.

5) Possibility 2: You might use too many layers (absolutely positioned
elements). Though you use only 7, which usually is quite OK, Netscape 4 can
react strangely if it thinks you use too many layers for its poor memory to
keep track of.
Try putting all icons in one layer. I don't think it's necessary for them to
each have their own layer.

6) Possibility 3: It just might be the shorthand for margins and paddings.
If the two suggestions above don't help, change the margins and paddings to
the long variants (margin-top: 30px; etc).

But overall I think it's the borders.

ppk