[thelist] Re: Submitting to Search Engines

Cayley Vos cvos at netpaths.net
Thu Oct 10 20:45:01 CDT 2002

Submitting to search engines is actually an oxymoronic statement - you can
submit to directories such as yahoo and dmoz, but true search engines
(crawlers, spiders, search bots etc) find you on their own.

The only way to get listed in search engines like google is to have a link
from a site already in their database.  You can submit to their site until
you are blue in the face, and will get nowhere. Worse, it could make them
mad and penalize your site. Links and relationships are the new economy. If
you have no friends you will starve.  Make many friends, associations and
partnerships with similar strong businesses/websites and you will go far.

You can read more here

http://www.ask-marketing-experts.com/newthread.php3?s=&action=newthread&foru
mid=26

On 10/10/02 8:40 AM, "thelist-request at lists.evolt.org"
<thelist-request at lists.evolt.org> wrote:

> Is it worth submitting to search engines?  I have been approached my numerous
> friends with the question on how do they get their web site known, most of
> them have paid to have their web site listed in "major" search engines but is
> this cost a racket?  There was a time when listing your search engine was
> free?  So I begin to do some investigation on how much it costs and how you
> submit, if you submit to one then a user that uses another search engine
> wouldn't get your listing.  I know there are the companies that claim to
> submit to hundreds of thousands of search engines but why are there hundreds
> of thousands of search engines????
> Thanks,
> Alice

Cayley Vos, Principal