[thelist] Could using SSI ("include") alter status of visited link?

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Oct 10 21:15:03 CDT 2002

> the CSS list) had ordered their CSS file to put hover first,
> and I updated my CSS files (in a couple sites) in case I had
> the cascade backwards, but my tests show I still have no use
> of visited link color.

First, if we can believe Eric Meyer (and I do) the correct order to maintain
specificity in the cascade is
Link
Visited
Focus (if you use it)
Hover
Active

Remembered with the Star Wars mnemonic Lord Vader Freezes Han's Arse.

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/talks/2002/cdpug/talk.html

> As it happens, in pretty much all sites I've taken to using
> include virtual statements after a certain stage of
> development, and almost always the nav-bar (usually unordered
> list of links, styled without bullets) is a major part of the
> included file. Does having the navbar (links) brought in
> within SSI refresh them, such that I'll never see a visited
> link color?

Nope. I'm pretty sure that's a function of the browser's history, but that's
out of my realm. As an example, though, my site http://EGBDF.info uses
includes for all the nav, search, and footer (plus probably some other
stuff; my dream is a site composed entirely of database queries, SSI, and
script logic, all in one page.)

So using SSI ain't what's causing it. I'll guess a browser setting. Is this
consistent across all the browsers you use? Got a URL we could play with?

joel