[thelist] Open two URLs from one hyperlink?

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:53:00 CDT 2002

"Ahmad, N" <nadeem at essex.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:7AC902A40BEDD411A3A800D0B7847B660B01DC72 at sernt14.essex.ac.uk...
> Is it possible for one hyperlink to open two URLs at once? Or is there a
> different solution to this problem:
>
> I have some clips on my web site in both WMA (Windows Media) and MP3.
These
> are extracts of interview texts. What I would like to do is have the user
> click on a link to the sound clip, and for the clip to start playing and
> open new page at the appropriate spot in the interview.
>
> Hope that makes sense! (I am using IIS5/ASP so don't really want (for
> example) a solution that utilises JavaScript).

You really do have to use JavaScript for this type of functionality, as HTML
hyperlinks were never meant to link to more than one resource than once.  An
alternative is to create boxes containing two links each - one for the clip
and one for the page, but JavaScript is definitely the easiest and most
intuitive way to go.

Just make sure that you have an alternate link for those of us who either
don't use JavaScript or can't use JavaScript.

--
Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu