[thelist] Re: Submitting to Search Engines

Greg Farries greg at mapleleafweb.com
Fri Oct 11 10:20:00 CDT 2002

> Actually the schedule seems to be a bit accelerated
> because the googlebot has been visiting me regularly
> over the last few days.

>From what I've read lately, http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/5646.htm it
would seem that Google has changed its "Page Rank" feature.  Which has been
resulting in more traffic for some, and less traffic for others.  My work
site, mapleleafweb.com has seen a 3 fold increase in the traffic we get from
Google.  Which in my mind is a very good thing.

> The home page for my personal site is usually crawled
> every day; the /entire/ site is recrawled once a month.
> If you check google results, the sites that it crawls
> often have a "Fresh!" label, with the last date crawled
> (usually one day earlier).

The "Fresh" feature doesn't seem to be working lately.  Or at least I can't
seem to find a "fresh" labelled site.  For example, search for "CNN", which
In my mind should be indexed regularly, and you don't get a "fresh" rating?
Correct me if I'm wrong?

And in my experience, don't be afraid to submit new URL's to on
http://www.google.com/addurl.html on weekly basis.  Anytime we post a new
article on mapleleafweb.com, I drop by and submit the URL - it just a small
reminder to the spider to drop by that specific part of your site.  Just
don't go spamming it.

Greg Farries
Web Project Leader
http://mapleleafweb.com