[thelist] OT Weird IP addies, ADSL router, Mac

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Fri Oct 11 11:12:01 CDT 2002

I know this is probably off-topic, but I just have such a weird problem.

If I connect to my ADSL router using a crossover cable, fine.
If I connect via 2 normal cable and a hub, it doesn't work. Here's
the weird bit: the IP addresses the router gives out *change*.

With the crossover cable the IP addresses on my mac are (correct):
IP 		192.168.8.2
Mask 		255.255.255.0
Router 		192.168.8.1
Name Server	212.159.11.150

Connected through the hub, I get:
IP 		169.254.83.233
Mask 		255.255.255.0
Router 		169.254.83.233
Name Server	224.0.0.251

Where on earth can those IP addies be coming from? They only appear
when I plug in the router so my Mac didn't make them up on its own.
I'm confused :(

TIA

Geoff