[thelist] CSS Centered Layout

Anthony Baker lists at thinkbigideas.com
Fri Oct 11 15:50:18 CDT 2002

Okay...

In my experience, using absolute positioning with CSS has
almost always allowed me to create a site design once and
have it be nearly 100% reliable in its presentation in
all the 5.x browsers out there. Minor tweaks generally
required, but no sweat.

Using relative positioning, however, wreaks all sorts of
havoc and causes ensuing madness.

However, my understanding is that the ONLY way you can get
honest-to-goodness centered layouts (which I happen to
love from a design perspective most of the time) is to use
relative positioning.

Anyone know of a centered table-free css design trick that
will allow me to do so using absolute positioning?

Specifically, I am looking for a solution that will allow
me to create a master bounding box for the layout, within
which I can add columns, rows, images, etc.

Actually code or pointers to some resource for such would
be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Anthony