[thelist] Character Encoding Mismatch

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Sat Oct 12 16:12:01 CDT 2002

Clive,

> Just fixing a few last glitches in a revamped site for Mount Olive
> College - http://www.moc.edu/index.cfm - and the validation works fine
> on most pages as hosted on our staging server, but on the actual Mount
> Olive site I get a warning as follows: "Warning: Character Encoding
> mismatch! The character encoding specified in the HTTP header (<utf-8>)
> is different from the one specified in the META element (<iso-8859-1>).
> I will use <utf-8> for this validation."

CFMX outputs utf-8 by default, thats where the mismatch is coming from.

You can put this at the top of your Application.cfm file, to change the
output to ISO-8859-1

<cfcontent type="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
then you can leave your meta tag alone.

this is of course, if your site uses ISO-8859-1 and not utf-8....

hth,

nagrom