[thelist] [OT] Video Cards for Developers + Tip

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Tue Oct 15 10:31:00 CDT 2002

Much of this depends on what programs you will be using. If part of what
you are looking for is a card that will work well with apps such as
Maya, XSI, and/or 3DS Max then I would stay away from the ATI Radeon
series of cards. The reason for this is the quality of the openGL
drivers. At least for Maya, they are very buggy and do not work very well.

My suggestions would as follows:

For web design, Flash, Multimedia and Video - NVidia Geforce 4 MX 440 card
For anything to do with high end 3d animation - Quadro Pro 4, FireGL,
Wildcat
For a good all round card that will handle almost everything more or
less (except really complex animation) - Geforce 4 Ti 4200 - 4600.

The Nvidia cards tend to have rock solid openGL drivers and work better
under a lot more animation programs then the ATI cards do.

/chris

--
www.fuzzylizard.com
chris at fuzzylizard.com