[thelist] Beginner asp question

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Oct 17 01:04:01 CDT 2002

> > Is it possible that you can have write access to the db but
> not read?
>
> i can't say for sure, but i'd say no. doesn't writing require
> some sort of reading first? i don't know, but it makes sense to me.

On a Windows box, you need 'list' perms to write, but you don't need 'read.'

Kim, here are a few Microsoft Q articles about the error you're getting. Web
access to, um, Access (second stupidest app name ever) is, to say the least,
problematic, but with persistence you can get it sorted out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q174943&

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q319319&

from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q300699& :

" 'Could not use ; file already in use' Error
You receive this error when the database is opened exclusively by another
user. This is common when browsing to a data access page after you create a
new database. Close the database, and then refresh the page to remove the
error."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q306518&

By the way, you're really not dealing with an ASP issue here, it's almost
certainly a strictly database issue.

joel

--
Joel D Canfield