[thelist] [Usability/Javascript] Client-Side Form Validation - Pros & Cons?

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Oct 18 09:36:01 CDT 2002

> We always do server-side validation and I opine that we
> should be doing client-side validation to save on that
> "one-trip return" lag in the event there are required fields
> missing or there is an error in input. We always use the
> forms to not rely on JavaScript to be functional but at the
> same time to take use of the added functionality if
> JavaScript is enabled (majority).

Both, always, for the same reasons. With the right automation, you can have
a fairly generic script on each end with will add almost nothing to coding
time or download time, so why not catch it at the front end when possible?
The arguments for server-side validation are self-evident.

joel

--
Joel D Canfield
Know Your Music    http://EGBDF.info