[thelist] JavaScript/DOM book recommendations

Bob Fowler evolt at rjf.ca
Mon Oct 21 12:24:00 CDT 2002

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone would like to recommend a good JavaScript/DOM
book?  I currently own two JavaScript reference books, but because of their
size (and the fact that I have no desire to "learn" JavaScript) I rarely use
them.

I guess I am somewhat of a peculiarity; I am a programmer by trade but I
usually have no use for client-side scripting. However, there are a few
things I need to do that I am unable to do using server-side scripting.

The books I currently own are:

1> Wrox's "Professional JavaScript" - This seems like a very good book, but
it's a bit much for my needs.
2> O'Reilly's "JavaScript: The Definitive Guide" - An excellent reference,
but very dry.

The type of book I am looking for would be concise, and tutorial driven.  It
would use current techniques for manipulating the DOM.  It should also be
relatively advanced; I really don't need to re-learn the simple stuff like
launching a window etc.

Thanks in advance!

Bob.

P.S. If there is a on-line tutorial that meets these requirements, then that
is even better!