[thelist] ASP: changing response.redirect headers

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Tue Oct 22 17:36:01 CDT 2002

Doh! That's ok, I can't use Server.Transfer because we run NT4/ASP2 (someone
strangle me now).

> I can't write a .dll (yet) because my company hasn't invested in Visual
> Basic (yet).  I'm stuck with ASP 3.0 (for now).

Real men write VB in DOS edit and compile it mentally.

> Chris lost me with this comment:  "you can either send a straight-up 302
> or just change the context on the server-side", but I think I will look
> into the response.status thingy.

I was just looking at why you'd need to use headers, but now I understand.
The 302 header is notably somewhat unreliable and not always seamless to the
end user, so a contextual (i.e. transparent to the user, the server just
pulls a different page from a different location but keeps the client at the
same url) redirect would be best... but off your server obviously that won't
work unless they're networked together or somehow linked.

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net