[thelist] XHTML Valid Jump Menu

Frank framar at interlog.com
Thu Oct 24 13:55:02 CDT 2002

At 09:48 AM 10/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks Frank that works. I was going down the same type of path, but I
>wasn't sure on how to specify a null inside the action. action="null"
>didn't work. Javascript isn't my forte, I know enough to futz with it and
>to change attributes, but other than that I'm stumped.

For what it's worth, using "#" isn't using a null.

It's actually pointing to an identifier. What makes it so that the
validator doesn't choke on it is simply that the action isn't empty. Where
it breaks the spirit of the law, but not the rule, is that it doesn't
specify *which* identified item to refer to. It's like  saying

when there is no

    <a name="anAnchor">

specified anywhere within the current document. Why the current document?
If a base url is not specified, it's implied that any redirection is
relative to the current document. Thus,

action="#" could be translated to

    "the location to send data to is to a non-existent object on this page."

That's why it goes nowhere, and validates, and is (probably) not the best
choice. Now, was that way more than anybody wanted to know?

--
Frank Marion <frank at frankmarion.com>      Tel: 416 825 7488