[thelist] XHTML Valid Jump Menu

Saila, Craig Craig.Saila at bgminteractive.com
Thu Oct 24 14:48:01 CDT 2002

Although I disagree with your assumptions as to why you should have
valid pages, my answer to the first part of your question: sometimes you
have to.

For example, I include a valid OBJECT element to call a QuickTime movie,
hoping the visitors will have the plug-in. If they don't they can:
 a) not see the movie
 b) install the plug-in

Same with the jump menu, the users can:
 a) not use the jump menu (and, as Austin mentioned, instead use the
redundant navigation that should exist in the footer or within the
NOSCRIPT)
 b) use a JavaScript enabled browser.

I think we all are smart enough to know why relying on technology our
users might not have is Not a Good Thing(TM), but many times we don't
have a choice.

What we /can/ do in those cases is make a well-informed decision on how
best to do it -- IMHO, validating it is one step in that process -- and
then implement it.

--
Cheers,

Craig Saila