[thelist] XHTML Valid Jump Menu

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 24 22:14:00 CDT 2002

rudy,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: rudy
>
> when i use google's form, i want to navigate to a very
> specific search results page
>
> when i use a jump menu, i want to navigate to a very
> specific selected page
>
> same difference

actually it's not.  there is a difference, no matter how subtle it might seem.

when you use the search form at google, you want to navigate to the search page.  what ends up on that search page is a result of whatever you type into the text box.  however, it's still the search results page.

it's different with a select menu though.  each option represents a different page with completely different content.  i have no way of knowing things like what's the address of the page i'm going, is it on the same site, have i visited it already, will it navigate if i attempt to tab to the select list and scroll wheel through the options, what my page choices are without scrolling through the list, how many total i have to choose from, hierarchy, etc.  none of these questions exist with the google search form because the page it goes to has a single, known purpose.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/