[thelist] PHP help wanted & fonts tip

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 06:58:01 CST 2002

Hi all,

under pressure seeking shortcuts (aren't we all), has anyone got a PHP
method for calculating estimated download time for files?

I've got a load of images and I want to warn about possible lengthy
downloads in a friendly way.

Failing a ready made script, can anyone point me to a resource that
gives a good estimate of download times per kb for a range of common
connection methods?

It strikes me as weird that I can easily find the obscure information by
a quick google search, but find it impossible to uncover what ought to
be simple stuff...

TIA

Tony

<tip author="tony crockford" subject="font resources">

You may already know about this, but in case you don't, I found a good
site that has free fonts and a handy text generator that will let you
input text, and see it on screen in the font of your choice.  (a quick
screen grab and your client mock up with esoteric font is gtg)

http://www.extremefonts.com/

for commercial fonts you can do the same trick at:

http://www.myfonts.com/

e.g.

http://www.myfonts.com/Testdrive?id=11250

</tip>