[thelist] IIS5: subdomains, how to configure

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Mon Oct 28 21:11:01 CST 2002

chris,

> so i change the HOSTS file on my local workstation to...
>
> <internal_website_box_ip_address> dev.swatgear.com
>
> to try something different and i am greeted with the same results. the
> only time it seems to work is when i am sitting at the web box, yet this
> is not suitable.

make sure you don't still have HOSTS.SAM hanging around...or that you have
"view all file extensions" checked in folder options.

sounds silly, but i was trying to get the HOSTS file working on a client's
box, where i regularly do onsite work.  i had the same problem you're having
because windows was hiding the extension on the hosts files for me, making
HOSTS.SAM look like HOSTS.

nagrom