[thelist] Form Validation with JavaScript and CSS

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Oct 29 13:04:01 CST 2002

anthony,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Anthony Baker
>
> Just came across a form that uses a take on JavaScript
> forms validation that I've never seen before, but is
> very cool.
>
> Upon submission, the form is validated using JS, with a
> JS prompt appearing detailing the error. There then
> appears to be some scripting that changes the background
> color of the offending form field, essentially
> highlighting the field.
>
> In IE 6.0, the page also jumps up to the form field that
> has the error in it, similar to the effect of an
> <A NAME=""> link.
>
> Anyone ever seen any code like this elsewhere?
>
> Here is the page, for those who are interested:
>
> http://www.dmi.org/dmi/html/publications/news/subscribe_f.jsp
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

yes, but executed in a far more accessible manner than the example you
cited.

from taking a look at their source, it's a shame they resorted to making a
form that is useless to non-javascript users.  they put a ton of time into
the actual validation, but broke it by removing submit buttons and calling
the submit() method from a link instead.  i think maybe they should read my
forms & javascript article.  ;p

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org