[thelist] ie 6 and vertical spacing with CSS form elements

colin bocmaxima at wtez.net
Wed Oct 30 15:34:01 CST 2002

Hi List,

In doing some forms recently I noticed a huge difference in Internet
Expolrer 6 versus IE 5.5. I had used CSS to change the font-size on all
INPUT tags to 12px. I then had a layer (DIV) positioned absolutely below
several lines of text and fields. To my surprise, the text above the layer
was pushed down and the layer was rendered on top of the text by IE 6,
seemingly ignoring the font-size for the INPUT tags.
Was IE 6 designed to do this, and if so, why?
Or is there some change in the way IE 6 renders form fields that I am
missing?
Or is this a known bug?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks for reading,